An Artist’s Studio
Create • Imagine • Inspire • Contemplate
2021 ASID Showcase Home
How do you turn a large, well-lit but barren, rectangular room into a vibrant artist studio/gallery/gathering space? That’s the challenge we faced in this studio, on the second floor of a century-old home. Originally a sleeping porch, the room had large windows, little wall space and an expansive hardwood floor. But it lacked the vitality needed to inspire and display the works of a serious artist.
We focused the energy on furnishings centered in the room, allowing the unblocked windows to bring in light, beauty and inspiration, and creating a gallery along the perimeter. An invitingly playful, graffiti-themed upholstered sectional and the artist’s easel rest on a Jackson Pollock-inspired painted floor simulating a paint-splattered canvas that will only improve with use.
Everything in the room is artistic:
- The soft curves and bumper end of the sectional provide movement and energy
- The steel arch bench, leather upholstered stainless steel chair and side table are works of art created by local artists
- Vibrant accent pillows help unify the graffiti-covered sectional with the artwork beyond
- Creative use of closets and shelves artfully display the artist’s tools and resources
- Gray walls and white millwork on the perimeter provide a calm demeanor for wall- or easel-mounted paintings
- Gallery style track lighting with telescoping fixtures highlight the displayed art, the furniture pieces and the painted rug
The Results: The People’s Choice Award
We took some big chances and created a breathtakingly vibrant studio that wins accolades from everyone who sees it creative, imaginative, inspirational – this is a studio every artist can love!